The lemon olive oil cake of your dreams, dressed festively with layers of whipped mascarpone cheese, lemon curd, a honey lemon blueberry sauce and finished with fresh blackberries. The perfect marriage between the classic Italian lemon olive oil cake and Tiramisu.
Today I bring to you the first official cake on Ciao Florentina, I don’t even know where to really start, because I am so excited about this you guys. I mean, yours truly excited about cake, is just never happens. But today I have the real deal: Italian Lemon Olive Oil Cake, with a little bit of ricotta cheese in the mix of course, and a pudding like lemon curd layer to give it the ultimate lemon flavor throughout.
But what goes really well with lemon ?
Blueberries and blackberries. Oh my! So I made a super quick honey lemon blueberry sauce on the stove top, that is going to make your lemon olive oil cake not just extra delicious but also add tons and tons of moisture. Forget about it!
Just imagine taking a bite out of fluffy olive oil cake layers loaded with whipped mascarpone, lemon curd and blueberry sauce. Then sprinkle sweet blackberries all over the place, pretending you are the foodie Picasso or something.
Oh wait, that’s me, I’m the foodie Picasso. Okay, more about that another time, because it is a long story and it’s the weekend and ain’t nobody got time for that!
TaDa !!! Tell the truth: Can you even handle it ?
Look at those creamy layers! Excuse me a few minutes while I go take a big bite out of that. I’LL LET YOU KNOW RIGHT NOW: THIS IS NOT A VEGAN KIND OF CAKE.
Sorry my vegan friends, I do not have a vegan version, nor does my brain know how I could possibly pull it off as vegan…. I mean is there vegan mascarpone ? I have no idea. How about the eggs ? Between the olive oil cake, the mascarpone filling and the lemon curd I used about 15 eggs. So yeah, I really don’t think this is a vegan’s dream. But the rest of us you guys, for the rest of us, this cake is Everything!
- 1 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c ricotta cheese
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 5 eggs organic pasture raised
- 1 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Zest from 1 lemon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 lb blackberries
- 1/4 c edible flower blossoms
- 1/2 lb blueberries
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2-3 tbsp wild honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks organic pasture raised
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 2 c whipped cream organic
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 c lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 5 large egg yolks organic pasture raised
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp butter cut into 5 pieces.
Make the Blueberry Sauce:
- Start by adding the blueberries with the lemon juice, vanilla and honey to a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes, just until the blueberries burst.
- Remove from flame and adjust sweetness to your taste with more honey. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Lemon Curd:
- To make the lemon curd, prepare a double boiler with 2 inches of water in the bottom pan. Bring to gentle simmer.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to the top pan.
- Whisk together over the steam until combined well.
- Keep whisking for a few minutes until the curd has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. About 5 to 10 minutes or so.
- Turn off the flame and whisk in the butter until melted.
- Transfer the curd to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Preheat your oven to 325″F.
- Prepare a 10 inch spring form pan by lightly buttering it with a dab of butter. Place on a baking sheet.
Make the Olive Oil Cake:
- In the bowl of a mixer add the eggs, lemon zest and sugar and using the whisk attachment beat them together until well combined. A few minutes.
- Pour in the olive oil and continue whisking on medium low speed until all incorporated.
- Add the ricotta cheese and sea salt and whisk till combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and slowly mix or fold everything together until incorporated.
- Transfer the cake batter into the buttered spring form pan.
- Bake the olive oil cake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
You can find complete recipes of this LEMON OLIVE OIL CAKE RECIPE WITH BERRIES & MASCARPONE in ciaoflorentina.com